Visit a variety of schools and grade levels
Observe students and teachers
Tutor students individually or in small groups
Teach lessons to small groups or whole classes
All teacher education candidates take part in early clinical experiences interacting with teachers and students in various schools in the area. The Office of Field Experiences coordinates placement arrangements for these school experiences. Placements are arranged through the online registration program.
Login: Online Clinical/Observation Registration
School Experiences and Attendance Log
Courses Requiring Clinicals in the Initial Licensure Program
Clinical Experiences Procedures
Clinical Experiences Requirements
Diversity in Placement
Taskstream Field Experiences Portfolio
READ CAREFULLY – CANDIDATES ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL INFORMATION!
Important Clinical Policies
BEGINNING FALL 2016, CLINICAL PLACEMENTS MAY ONLY BE MADE THROUGH THE ONLINE REGISTRATION PROGRAM!
1. Once a placement is confirmed, candidates are expected to honor that placement. A candidate may not change his/her placement without email permission given to the OFE by the course instructor.
2. Once booking a school placement online and printing the confirmation page, candidates are to contact the school immediately. It takes time for the contact person to match candidates with teachers, so it is important to get started right away.
3. For placement in school systems outside the clinical placement geographic area and not included in the clinical online registration program, call the Office of Field Experiences for details (704-687-8802).
4. In some cases, an instructor may make arrangements at a particular site for candidates. When this occurs, the instructor will submit required information to OFE. The candidate should not sign up online.
5. All clinical requirements are to be completed in one school unless required by the instructor.
6. Professional dress and behavior is required and expected. Always report to the school office and present your UNC Charlotte ID and driver’s license to sign in. Never go directly to a classroom, even if you have been in the building several times before. Ask if you have parked your car in an acceptable place. At minimum, attire must be business casual. Candidates may be denied entry to a school if not dressed properly. In addition, hats, tobacco products, gum, snacks, etc. should be left in your car.
CELL PHONES ARE TO BE TURNED OFF AND KEPT OUT OF SIGHT WHILE IN SCHOOL BUILDINGS AND CLASSROOMS.
7. When visiting a school, candidates must have their UNC Charlotte ID, driver’s license, and syllabus requirements for each course that requires clinical hours. Some instructors may provide a letter for you to present to the teacher.
8. Various school systems will require a background check in order to complete clinicals in their schools. It is the candidate’s responsibility to follow system policies.
- CMS – complete volunteer registration https://www.cmsvolunteers.com/
- Iredell, Lincoln, and Rowan – complete a background check. Cost is candidate’s responsibility.
For additional information, contact the Office of Field Experiences
College of Education, Suite 139
Phone: 704-687-8802 FAX: 704-687-1487